This is guest post by Tanya K
Research in 2012 conducted by ADT revealed that 94% of burglars would avoid a house if it had a monitored alarm. Wherever you are in the country, you can invest in such an alarm system with ease, to repel burglars when you’re away from your home. Locks and alarms in Surrey are provided by BM security, while across the nation, there are plenty of reputable companies who will be able to help you secure your home and give you the extra peace of mind you need.
It doesn’t matter whether you’re heading off on holiday for a fortnight or are home alone and popping upstairs for a shower, knowing that you have done everything you can to secure your house will make you feel less vulnerable as a person and be more confident that nothing will go wrong. While the installation of an alarm system would be highly recommended, there are plenty of inexpensive tips that you could use to ensure your home security is improved, such as:
- Outside lighting that is on a motion-sensor can deter burglars due to the increased risk of getting caught. Even if you’re on holiday, keep these operating because neighbors may see intruders.
- Gravel driveways can also increase the risk for burglars who want to be as quiet as possible.
- If you do have an alarm, keep it maintained. Keep the exterior box clean and if it becomes rusty over time, ask the alarm company for a replacement so that it looks more ‘in use’.
- Put up net curtains to obscure the view into your home. If you’re away, ask neighbors of family members to pop over and draw them at night and open them in the morning.
- Leave a car in the driveway when you’re away to make it look like there’s someone home.
- Use timers on your lights to give the illusion that someone is home. Time them to come on as darkness falls and turn back off again around your usual bedtime.
Simple measures can often make great deterrents. Alarm systems will always be a great investment for your home though, while modernizing your locks will also help to keep intruders away.