Invisible Dangers in your home

May 2, 2013

I’m not talking about the monsters under the kids’ beds that my boys are terrified of.  But I am talking about the hazardous things in your home that you cannot see. 

Germs, dust mites, and mold are all examples of invisible dangers – but one of the most dangerous things that you cannot see, taste, or smell is carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon Monoxide can be deadly within minutes and is the leading cause of unintentional poisoning deaths in the U.S..

CO infographic - low-res

At one point in time I thought to myself that I was ‘exempt’ from Carbon Monoxide poisoning because I just didn’t think about it clearly, and assumed that it was so rare that it couldn’t possibly happen to us (Sort of like the lottery!).  But when we moved into this home – there were so many unknowns. We now had the responsibility of the water heater and furnace that we had no idea the actual condition of.  We also have a tuck-under garage which we have to be really careful not to let the cars run (even when it’s SUPER cold out) while they’re in the garage.

When we moved in, we had three Kidde Carbon Monoxide Alarms installed in our house.  We were going along just fine – until they started chirping every few mintues.  Within a few hours we had a second chirping alarm… I was freaking out that it was something other than the batteries.. I read the instructions thoroughly and realized that it was just the batteries dying, but it was scary nonetheless. We didn’t have any extra 9volt batteries in the house to change out the batteries at the time, so I took the kids out of the house on a drive to go get some batteries.  We came back and changed them to no more beeping.

The next day? we had another beeping alarm.  Clearly these batteries have a predictable life-span… ha! So I had to go buy another pack of 9volts.

LCD CO Alarm - packaged

Now that I have discovered the new Kidde Worry-Free Carbon Monoxide alarms, I’m so excited to have one for myself.  No more guessing on whether or not the beeping is due to batteries, or what is actually happening when it does beep!

The Worry-Free Alarm has a 10 year sealed battery – so I won’t have to worry about it for 10 years!  On top of which, it also has a display panel which shows the actual readout of Parts-Per-Million (PPM) of Carbon Monoxide, so if it does go off – I can look at it and tell what kind of danger we are dealing with.

I love having that peace of mind when it comes to my house – knowing what the sounds are, and what to do in the case of the alarms.. So much better than being curious about whether or not it’s safe to be inside.

 

Do you have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?

According to the U.S. Census, while 75% of all homes have a potential source of carbon monoxide – like a water heater, fireplace, furnace, generator or any other fuel-burning appliance – only half of U.S. homes have a working CO alarm.

 

Other Hazards?

As for the other invisible hazards, like monsters in the closet? We use Monster Spray (at the suggestion of a friend.)

Monster Spray

Monster spray keeps the monsters far away – and makes the room smell really nice! – great for sweaty little boys!

 

Keep up with the latest from Kidde by following them online, finding them on facebook, and on twitter. Right now Kidde is hosting a “Worry-Free Spring” sweepstakes on its Facebook page to win a $300 gift card to The Home Depot or Wal-Mart.

 

I was given a Kidde CO alarm and a promotional gift in exchange for my thoughts on Invisible Hazards. All thoughts are my own.

Comments

  1. Sherri Lewis says:

    When/if I have to replace my carbon monoxide detector, I am definitely going with this model….. love the idea of not having to change batteries every year. Now if they would just come out with one for smoke detectors……

  2. Robin Wilson says:

    Love the Monster Spray idea ~ and I too have detectors installed throughout our house. The thought of a CM leak is terrifying! Great post!

  3. Great post! I was thinking the other day I wondered if my CM Alarm is working properly. I think it is maybe time to change it. Since I am one of those who has the generator, gas stove, gas water heater and heat with wood. I also have alergies and really need things up to date. Thanks for sharing this.

  4. jamie braun says:

    we sure do have a carbon monoxide detector! its something you dont think about often, but necessary!

  5. Karen Glatt says:

    It is very important to have Carbon Monoxide detectors in the home so they go off if there are dangerous levels of this gas. I have one in my living room and it makes me feel so much better. Also, I like the Monster Spray, I need to get this!

  6. We do have smoke detectors in our home but not a carbon dioxide detector. We do need to get one but budget has not allowed us to get one yet. We should as our home is and older home which I think gives a higher possibly of it. Cute idea for the monster spray. thanks

Speak Your Mind

*