With the Holidays just around the corner, and the greatness of summer grilling coming to an end – I’ve been thinking and preparing myself mentally for the nostalgia of the season. Last year I was dreading the Holidays as they were approaching so quickly and I wasn’t prepared. This year, I can hardly wait to get the Christmas decorations out and start baking Christmas cookies! All of this indoor cooking though has reminded me that I need to clean the oven so I don’t smell burning pizza when I should be smelling gingerbread cookies!
To be honest, my Oven hasn’t been deep cleaned since we bought it a little over two years ago – and when it started getting really bad this summer – I switched over to grilling pretty much every meal – and then a few weeks ago as temperatures started to drop – I started using our new Breville toaster oven to avoid the fact that I actually would have to clean the oven. But Holiday baking is definitely too big for my Toaster Oven to handle on it’s own, so I am just going to have to suck it up!
I have learned from my mom’s expertise that I shouldn’t work TOO hard to clean the oven – but rather I should get some Easy-Off and let the spray do the hard work. So last time I was shopping, I headed over to the cleaning section and picked up some Easy-Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner. I know that my oven mess has been baked on several times over – and I would need something that can clean an oven even with the toughest stains.
Easy-Off Fume Free Oven Cleaner penetrates tough baked-on oven grease to effectively clean with no nasty fumes. And It leaves your oven with a fresh, lemon scent! And for those of you who are more on-top of cleaning your ovens or are clean the oven as-you-go kind of person: you can use Easy-Off for spot cleaning when you make something a little more messy.
I was absolutely stunned at how easy it was to clean the oven after spraying Easy-Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner into my warm oven and letting it sit for 5 minutes. I didn’t have to use any pressure whatsoever to remove stains. It literally liquefied each and every stain.
Yes, it did smell: I had to open the windows to get some ventilation through the house, and coughed a few times while just trying to breathe. But after a few minutes with the windows open the breeze took care of the heavy fumes and surprisingly enough, inside the oven didn’t have bad fumes while I was cleaning. My kids were over at the neighbors house. The directions say to remove pets from the area, I prefer to expose as little people as possible to the fumes – so I was alone.
I used paper towels to remove the majority of the stain. The directions say to use a sponge and water, but I just like throwing things away and not rinsing them out – call me wasteful, I’m ok with that. It took a good 10-15 paper towels to get the grease and stains out of the oven – which left me with a streaky oven. I used a vinegar/water solution – again using paper towels – and wiped it all down. This took the remaining residue off and got the last bits of streaks out.
Now I won’t have to be embarrassed when cooking Holiday dinners for family/friends and explain the burning smell to them – and not only that, but my oven is shiny and so clean inside, they’ll wonder if it’s new!
Click here for
10 Helpful Tips for a Squeaky Clean Oven this Holiday Season!